As a homeowner, you may consider roofing your house as a do-it-yourself project or decide to hire a professional contractor. There are some important things to consider before taking on this project.
The first thing you need to know is the type of roofing available in the market; they include:
- Asphalt shingles: This is the most popular roofing material used in residential homes. It offers a cost-effective solution for homeowners lasting up to 20 years with proper maintenance.
- Metal roofing: This is known for its durability, energy efficiency, and fire resistance. The longevity of metal roofing can last up to 40 years or more with minimal maintenance.
- Slate roofing: This is one of the oldest and most expensive roofing materials available, but its lifespan can reach up to 100 years.
It’s also important to understand your area’s local building codes before starting the project. It’s best to check with your local building authority to ensure you comply.
What are the steps to re-roofing?
- Remove the old roof: This is the first step in the process and involves removing all existing shingles, flashing, and other debris from your roof.
- Install a waterproof membrane: It will help protect your home’s structure and provide additional protection against water damage.
- Lay down roof decking: This is the layer of wood that provides a base for your new roofing material.
- Install flashing: The process helps direct water away from vulnerable areas such as valleys, dormers, and skylights.
- Install shingles or other roofing material: It will be your top layer of protection against the elements.
- Install ridge caps or gable flashing: This helps seal the edges of your roof and prevents water from leaking into vulnerable areas.
- Clean up: Make sure to clean up all debris left behind after the project is completed.
Finally, Bryant Roofing Systems needs to get an inspection done before starting the project. This will help you identify any problems with your roof and ensure a safe and successful installation.
Now that you know about the types of roofing, these are the things to consider before making the decision:
1- Understand your budget
Did you know that the roofing cost depends on your house’s type and size? Make sure you do a thorough analysis to understand the total cost before deciding. You need to work with an expert to assess the cost. They will devise a plan and a budget to fit your requirements.
2- Choose the right contractor
Choosing a competent and experienced contractor who is licensed and insured is key to getting the job done correctly. Ask for references from family, friends, or colleagues. You can also look up local contractors online or in directories such as Angie’s List. With their expertise, they can recommend the best materials and installation methods to meet your requirements.
3- Prepare for the project
Once you have chosen a contractor, planning before starting the project is important. The most important thing is to prepare the site by removing any debris or vegetation that could get in the way. It’s also essential to secure the area with proper safety barriers to protect your family and pets.
By understanding these key elements, you can ensure that roofing your house will be a successful project. As always, consult a professional if you have any questions or need help with the process.